Cropping Assignment




Original Image



Cropped - Improve Composition



This is my how I cropped the first image. I think this improves the balance of the photograph by focusing on the woman and the child and having them more central. I chosen this image because I wanted to change the composition of it to become more drawn in towards the two people and see how the rest of the surroundings in the photograph change by focusing on them. 


Original 



Cropped - Zoom



I choose to crop/zoom on this part of the image because wanted to show a more close up view of the  woman sat on the bed. She is the main part of the image and by zooming in on her, it creates a dramatic and atmospheric feel to the image. I want the viewer to directly look at her and wonder about what has happened in the image, 


Original 


Cropped - Panoramic 



I chose to crop this image in this way to highlight both the car and the misty background. I still wanted all the main focus to be the car, so I kept the car in the middle of the picture.  I think this image works well as both the full frame and the cropped panoramic, as it keeps the main parts of the image in the frame, with good composition.   


Original 


Cropped - Square




I cropped this image in this way, to focus on the man in the image, but not show any of his surroundings. I felt this was the main thing to focus on in this image and leads the viewer to imagine what is going on in this image, rather than be given clues from the surroundings of the man. 


Original 



Cropped - 7x5




I chose to crop this image in this way to increase the atmosphere. I think by zooming in on the woman in the foreground, but keeping the car in the background, it adds some suspense and wonder about the people in the taxi behind. It makes the viewer create their own ideas about what may happen next in the scene. The street looks a lot more desolate and abandoned in the edited version, which also creates a darker atmosphere than the original image. 



Original 




Cropped - Change of Focus 



For this image I wanted for the change of focus to move to the man on the bed. At first your eyes are drawn to the woman standing by the window, and the man is easily dismissed and forgotten about. By making him the sole focus of the image, the viewer is then made to think about him, and his role in the image. His feelings are thought about and why he is doing what he is doing, rather than in the background behind the woman in the original picture. 

Original




Cropped - Change of Intended Message 



For this image, I felt by cropping out the majority of the original image, I was able to focus on a simple view. The woman looks to be doing tasks in the kitchen, nothing interesting or needing much thought. This contrasts the original image showing the man sat in an arm chair, this changes the overall feel and message of the image and makes us think the image has not much behind it, unlike the original.